1. I am going to attend Iowa State University with a major in Food Science and a possible minor in either Environmental Science or Music. I have also been invited to be part of the honors college. I am planning, even if not as a minor, to continue being part of some of the bands on campus.
2. Once I complete my degree at Iowa State, I plan to go into the food science field, helping with either food safety testing, product and recipe development, or food distribution. I would like to be able to use my degree in a way that can help increase the quality and quantity of food to those who need it, such as refugees, people in low income housing, or those living in food deserts.
3. While I was at Lisle High School, I put a lot of time and effort into the music program. This all culminated earlier this year with being invited to practice and play with the ILMEA All-State Honors Band, and be recognized as the top Bass Trombonist in the state of Illinois. Being recognized and being able to play in that band, and be taught new techniques and perspectives by Director Dr. Travis Cross, was a great experience. It was a way of not only reaching new musical heights, but also being able to see the culmination of the years of work I had put in to get to that point.
4. I had many teachers that have been very influential to me over my years at Lisle, both through teaching me and giving me perspectives and advice on life. For example, all of my band directors, Mr. Gumina, Mr. Meyer, Mrs. Kiener, and Mr. Schraub have all shown me new perspectives on music, and I have always enjoyed working with them. If I had to pick a most influential teacher, I would say it is Mdme. Emily Novak, my French teacher. From her, I not only learned French, but gained so much perspective on life, and also just being able to go to her and talk about whatever might be on my mind. Out of all of my teachers, nobody has done more than her to influence my life in a positive way.
5. Having this award, apart from being able to pay for my college education, is a representation of all the years of practice and effort I put into to the Lisle Music program. I hope my accomplishments can inspire future Lisle students to achieve higher goals and milestones in music. I know there a lot of very talented Lisle musicians, and I hope that they will follow me in achieving high goals in music, such as trying out for All-State bands. The program has done so much for me, and I hope having this award, can give back some of what I got out of it.
Again, thank you for this award. It truly means a lot. Please let me know if any more information is needed.