Dr. John Mulcare Award: Outstanding Science Student
This award was created to honor the top science student in the name of Dr. John Mulcare, who was an outstanding science educator at Lisle for nearly 3 decades. Pete Sullivan established the selection process, which requires an application and an essay from the student, and a selection panel of teachers. We will defer to you to use the existing process or create a new one, but would just ask that you encourage students to apply and put together a selection panel among the science teachers that will have good knowledge of the applicants (should not be that difficult at our small school!).
Dr. John Mulcare Award Recepients:
Jennifer Cail - Wilson College, Chambersburg, PA - Veterinary Medical Technology
2020 Kaitlyn Angileri Mulcare Scholarship Outstanding Science Student
Thank you so much for awarding me this scholarship! It is such an honor for me. Here are my answers to the questions:
1. I will be attending the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
2. I am majoring in Biochemistry.
3. After getting my bachelor’s degree, I plan to go to pharmacy school and then I would like to do drug research.
4. My most influential teacher was Mrs. Honzel. I had her my sophomore and junior years for Chemistry and AP Chem. Both years, they were my favorite classes. I loved learning the material, but Mrs. Honzel was the reason they were the best periods of the day. She is so energetic, caring, organized, and an all-around amazing teacher. I appreciate all the hard work she put in. Being in her classes invoked an interest in the science field and she inspired me to pursue it.
5. My most significant experience as a student was doing the trebuchet project in Physics. Everyone in the class had to build a trebuchet that launched a ball as far as possible. I had never built anything in my life so the project was daunting. There were a lot of setbacks and complications and it was a pretty stressful month, but everything worked out and I ended up getting a good grade. This experience is meaningful to me because I was able to complete a challenging task that required a lot of creative thinking and problem-solving. If I can build a trebuchet, I can do anything.
6. Winning this scholarship was so exciting. I could not wait to tell my mom, dad, and grandparents. It is so rewarding to see all of my hard work pay off and be recognized for my accomplishments. This scholarship helps college and graduate school become so much more attainable. I would like to thank everyone who made this possible. It truly means the world to me.
John Raymond Mulcare
Meet 2018 Winner Elizabeth LaScala
2019 Mulcare Scholarship, Dr. John Mulcare Award: Alexa Fasone
I am extremely honored to be selected to receive this award! Thank you.
Here are my answers to your questions:
1) The University of Pittsburgh
2) Nursing (With a minor in global studies and/ or Spanish)
3) What really stood out to me at LHS were the science teachers' passion for their subject and their desire to have their students find their own unique passions. Through the many activities in my Anatomy class, such as visiting a cadaver lab, attending a health science career exploration event, as well as the many dissections I never dreamed of doing, my interest and love for anatomical and biological science was greatly nurtured.
4) I would like to give my sincerest thanks to the alumni. Because of you, I will be able to continue my love for science in college and beyond, and use my education to help those in need. Thank you for helping me as well as the future students come closer to achieving our dreams. I am so fortunate to live in Lisle and have the support of my community as I continue my journey to Pittsburgh.
John Bartels (CNF President) and Kyle Melina Mulcare 2017 winner of the Mulcare Scholarship Dr. John Mulcare Award for Lisle's Outstanding Science Student
First of all I would like to thank you for the scholarship. It will help me tons towards my education. To answer your questions from your letter, I have listed them below.
1. I will be attending the University of South Florida.
2. I will be majoring in Physics and Biology with a Pre-Med background.
3. My Anatomy class was the best. It inspired me to go into my field of science. The teacher Ms. Gucciardo helped me to get here.
4. Again I would like to say thank you to you and the alumni for this special award. It will help tremendously. I hope to complete college and further my knowledge in medical school to become an Orthopedic Surgeon.